FIPs algorithm code vs default implementation

Bala Duvvuri b_duvvuri at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 13:05:08 UTC 2021

Hi All,

This is a basic question regarding FIPs algorithm code in OpenSSL 3.0, can you kindly let me know:

1> Can you please help to understand the differences in the FIPs algorithm implementation code vs default?

     Are there additional validations performed in FIPs code?

     Can you point to any API (FIPs and non FIPs version) to make this clear?

2> In normal code, EVP_DigestFinal_ex->HASH_FINAL

      Which API is equivalent to HASH_FINAL in FIPs code? How can we navigate to the FIPs code path?

3> When does "FIPS_MODULE" get defined?

Thanks
Bala