ODP: CSR creation using pkcs11 dynamic engine

Piotr Lobacz piotr.lobacz at softgent.com
Fri May 28 19:40:32 UTC 2021

Hi Selva,
i have found the cause of the problem. It is the HasNoPrivateKey function which is in dotnet OpenSsl ./src/Native/Unix/System.Security.Cryptography.Native/pal_rsa.c implementation. The crux of the problem is in these lines:

    // The method has descibed itself as having the private key external to the structure.
    // That doesn't mean it's actually present, but we can't tell.
#pragma clang diagnostic push
#pragma clang diagnostic ignored "-Wcast-qual"
    if (RSA_meth_get_flags((RSA_METHOD*)meth) & RSA_FLAG_EXT_PKEY)
#pragma clang diagnostic pop
    {
        return 0;
    }

For some reason i suspect that i do not have this RSA_FLAG_EXT_PKEY flag set. Btw. when i am calling ENGINE_load_private_key method, the arguments i'm passing are the engine and the key. Both ui_method and callback_data are passed as NULLs. I talked with guys from dotnet in here https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/53345 and i need to check RSA flags.But the thing that puzzles me is that shouldn't that flag be inserted by the engine during the call of ENGINE_load_private_key?

BR
Piotr