Why can't we get a proper installation method to keep OpenSSL at the latest revision for Linux?

Jan Just Keijser janjust at nikhef.nl
Mon May 31 12:45:10 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 31/05/21 13:01, Michael McKenney wrote:

> My wordpress servers are under constant attack.  My Fortinet 60E
> firewall logs are filled.  Openssl is constantly reported on The
> Hacker News and other sites.   So I don’t need to worry about
> upgrading OpenSSL in the future to 1.1.1k or above? I can just use
> what the distro has to offer by apt?  Ubuntu 20.04 started with
> 1.1.1f.    My Kali server is mainly used for Try Hack Me challenges
> and learn cyber security.

if you use an LTS distro then you can trust the distro makers - if not,
then there are thousands of servers out there that are vulnerable ;)

I run several public Wordpress sites on CentOS 7 and have locked them
down quite rigorously - I have not had any breakins for the past 7 years
or so, whilst relying fully on the RH/CentOS-supplied openssl library.

HTH,

JJK