X509_get_pubkey() in OpenSSL 3.0?

Jason Schultz jetson23 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:38:51 UTC 2021

Victor-

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to use:

X509 *SSL_CTX_get0_certificate(const SSL_CTX *ctx)
EVP_PKEY pkey = X509_get_pubkey(cert);

(also suggested by Selva) The reason is, and to answer some of your questions, all of this is taking place well before any handshakes, so the SSL object doesn't come into play at this point. We do allow users to specify both an RSA and EC cert/key pair, but the order in which we set them up will work since these functions operate on the last one to load. If the certificate loads, that's great, but we also tell our users if they specified an RSA cert if it's really a EC cert, etc. We also do some checks on the certificate, like if it's expired, or not valid yet; that's why I chose SSL_CTX_get0_certificate() above, so I have the X509 certificate object to make those checks, with X509_get0_notBefore(), etc.

In any case, things appear to be working now, but I'm hitting an issue later on when calling SSL_CTX_build_cert_chain(). I working on debugging that, I may have to start yet another thread later.

Thanks,

Jason