Query reg. using certificates bigger than 4k for EAP-TLS

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Oct 20 13:30:19 UTC 2021

Your scenario is still not quite clear to me.

It sounds like you are using a BIO_f_buffer() BIO to buffer data. This
is on the server side right? Are you encountering this problem for
server writes? Since you are talking about the certificate chain, I
assume you are referring to the server writing that chain.

libssl itself also uses a BIO_f_buffer() internally for writes during
the handshake. It's not clear to me whether you are referring to the
internal libssl buffering BIO, or one that you have created?

Either way, the effect of the buffering BIO during writes is that a 4k
buffer is used by default. If data is written that is less than 4k in
length then it is held in the buffer until either the BIO is "flushed"
or the buffer is filled. In the event the buffer gets filled then it is
automatically flushed, and any remaining data gets buffered.

The only effect of changing the buffer size should be to decrease the
frequency that the buffer gets filled and automatic flushes occur. It
sounds like by trying to increase the buffer size you are seeking to
avoid "parial" writes where only part of the data is flushed and the
remainder is held back for sending later when the buffer is next filled
or flushed. This should not normally make any difference to the correct
operation of the protocol (except for efficiency) although it does
depend on what happens "downstream" of the buffering bio and how partial
writes get sent to the peer.

It sounds like things are not quite working correctly for you when
"partial" writes occur. This sounds like a potential problem in the BIO
chain downstream of libssl (i.e. in your application).

Matt