OSSL_DECODER_CTX_new_for_pkey can't find decoder

Alex Dankow alex.dankow at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 09:51:25 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a provider for Windows certificates.
It generally works like this

openssl x509 -in "myuri ......" -provider mytest -text

OpenSSL fetches a DER encoded certificate from my STORE and prints it.
However it doesn't print the public key itself.
The code in x_pubkey.c near OSSL_DECODER_CTX_new_for_pkey "DER",
"SubjectPublicKeyInfo" fails to find a decoder. The rest is decoded by
OpenSSL

But if I add provider "default" in the command line:
openssl x509 -in "myuri ......" -provider mytest -provider default -text
It works completely.

Am I missing something or  is it a bug ?

--
Best Regards
Alex Dankow