OpenSSL 3.0 FIPS questions

Jason Schultz jetson23 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 18:46:37 UTC 2021

Thanks again. I think most of that makes sense. Going back to your initial response, there is something I'm not clear on.

The second method you explained (which I don't plan to use) starting with "Alternatively,..." included the calls to OSSL_PRIVIDER_load(), and then discussed calling the following API for FIPS:

   EVP_set_default_properties(NULL, “fips=yes”);

Was the EVP_set_default_properties() call specifically and only for the 2nd method, or did that API call apply to both the first and second methods you explained? From reading the doc for that call, it seems like I should be doing it if I use the first method as well.

Regards,

Jason