looking for properly configured Windows VMs

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Fri Apr 1 21:40:57 UTC 2022

Well, to be fair, modern Windows isn't even slightly MS-DOS. But it is often a difficult and unnecessarily idiosyncratic environment.

> I wonder if anyone has VM images with the right OS and compilation tools
> installed?

I don't have public ones. I do have assorted Windows platforms available, though, and I'll try to pull your branch (do I remember correctly that you posted a link a while back?) over the weekend and build it, if I can find the time.

> The day-long cycle, making a change and then waiting for CI to give an
> opinion is just too slow.  (I didn't know WIN32 was still even thing... I
> guess Windows ME still uses it maybe.)

Many modern Windows applications are 32-bit programs. Modern Windows itself is a 64-bit OS, but runs 32-bit programs in a translation environment (WOW64, for "Windows on Windows"). About 10% of the processes currently running on my main Windows development system at the moment are 32-bit. Many of our flagship products install both 32- and 64-bit binaries because customers may be using either or both at the same time.

So for Windows the 32-bit builds of OpenSSL are still quite important.

Not that it really matters one way or the other, I suppose. If Win32 is a supported platform, it's a supported platform, and we'd like to fix this to build there (rather than just not supporting the feature).

(Windows ME, on the other hand, is long dead. Last release was over 20 years ago. But Microsoft's parade of versions with different naming conventions makes this sort of thing tough to keep track of.)

> Subject: Re: [openssl/openssl] PR run failed: Windows GitHub CI -
> bio_dgram uses recvmsg/sendmsg to retrieve destination and set origin
> address (41cc92c)
>
> View results: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/actions/runs/2073285321

I'll take a look when I get a chance to see if anything jumps out. I haven't had to deal with IPv6 raw or UDP programming in Windows yet, but I do a fair bit with Windows networking development in general.

--
Michael Wojcik