Is there a simple implementation of hooking external private key with openssl-3.0 API?

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Apr 11 16:31:00 UTC 2022

On 11/04/2022 16:53, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 11:52 AM Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/04/2022 19:18, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to migrate to openssl-3.0 API, it seems to be very
>>> complicated to hook primitive private key usage to a custom function.
>>> This is required, for example, to use private keys that reside on
>>> hardware devices or when an application wishes to externalize private
>>> key operations to other programs using IPC.
>>>
>>> I hope I am wrong but it seems like an entirely new provider must be
>>> implemented with complete reimplementation of the default providers,
>>> including serialization, padding etc... While in openssl-0/1 it was
>>> quite easy.
>>>

>> You will need to implement a provider, and include a key manager plus an
>> implementation of whatever operations you want to support, e.g.
>> signature or asymcipher. Typically where a private key resides on a
>> hardware device then you don't need to support
>> serialization/deserialization because the keys can't be
>> serialized/deserialized anyway. If you do want to support that then the
>> key manager just needs to be able to import or export keys using the
>> standard parameters for the algorithm and it will automatically be able
>> to use the default provider's encoders and decoders. Support for key
>> generation is also probably optional. You would need to support any
>> padding that you need - that's considered part of the low level
>> algorithm implementation.
>>

> Thank you Matt,
> I am aware I can implement new three providers from scratch.
> However, I was hopping you will show me a way to cascade the existing
> providers just like we have done in the past with the RSA_METHOD.

It is actually technically possible to cascade providers. There is an
example of this happening in the test code. We have a filter provider
which "wraps" the default provider and modifies its behaviour. See:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/test/filterprov.c

However, I'm not sure that it helps you in this particular instance.

We also have instances of "composite" algorithms, e.g. where a high
level algorithm makes use of some other low level algorithm (consider a
DigestSign operation which uses RSA for signing, but also uses some
digest algorithm as part of its work).

> I would like the exact behavior of the existing providers while
> overriding the low level RSA operations.

The problem is that we don't currently expose the low level RSA
operations as provider operations. Feasibly we could have two RSA
implementations - a "low" level one and a "high" level one, where the
high level one does all padding etc, and the "low" level one does the
actual raw RSA work. The high level one could then call the low level
one. If we had that then it would probably be feasible for you to hook
in an alternative implementation for just the low level pieces.

That would require some refactoring though.

> Are you opened for a discussion for improving this?

Absolutely. I'd suggest you raise an issue on github to discuss it.

I'm sure someone else raised a similar issue some while ago and we had
some similar discussions, but I've gone searching for it and couldn't
find it. I did come across this issue though which touches on some