Find out IV length

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Aug 17 10:11:07 UTC 2022

On 17/08/2022 06:30, Kreissl, Jochen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> given an SSL* or respectively an SSLCIPHER* struct, how can I figure out
> the length of the IV used by the negotiated cipher of the handshake?
>
> I noticed that EVP_CIPHER has a metod to query this information, but I
> also don’t find a way to get an EVP_CIPHER from SSL*.
>
> Any pointers (heh) would be very helpful, thanks.
>
> Cheers

Given an SSL_CIPHER structure the associated EVP_CIPHER can be obtained
using something like this:

EVP_CIPHER *ciph =
EVP_get_cipherbyname(OBJ_nid2sn(SSL_CIPHER_get_cipher_nid(sslciph)))

But note that IV handling in TLS is a little complicated with the actual
IV that is used for an actual encryption/decryption operation being
composed of different elements. The details of which vary by ciphersuite
and protocol version.