I am experimenting

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sat Aug 20 08:33:21 UTC 2022

You're trying to run directly in your build tree, and haven't told the
system that /home/bullseye/test0818/openssl/3.1.0/plain/openssl-master
is a viable directory to find your newly built shared libraries in.

Fortunately, OpenSSL has a script that can be used for such cases,
util/wrap.pl.  It takes the command you want to run as arguments, sets
the appropriate environment variables for your system, then runs the
command you gave.

Example run for your example:

$ /home/bullseye/test0818/openssl/3.1.0/plain/openssl-master/util/wrap.pl \
  /home/bullseye/test0818/openssl/3.1.0/plain/openssl-master/apps/openssl version

Behind the scenes, on most Unix systems, the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is set to the directory where the libraries are expected to be found.
You could do this manually if you want, like this:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/bullseye/test0818/openssl/3.1.0/plain/openssl-master
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ /home/bullseye/test0818/openssl/3.1.0/plain/openssl-master/apps/openssl version

Do note, though, that setting an environment variable is permanent for
your logged in session, so it affects all commands following it, until
you change that variable again, or log out.  With util/wrap.pl, it's
only being set temporarly, just for the command to be run.

Disclaimer: util/wrap.pl is fairly new, and isn't supported out of the
build folder it's used in.  It's also not claimed to be stable across
OpenSSL versions, even though it has shown to be stable for some time
now.  That is to say, it may change in the future...  or not.

Happy experimenting!

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org