Tomas Mraz tomas at openssl.org
Tue Aug 23 12:46:18 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-08-23 at 12:09 +0000, Jonathan Wernberg wrote:
> TL;DR: With OpenSSL 3.x API, what is the recommended and safe way to
> read in an EC private key from raw format into an EVP_PKEY object
> ready to be used? What is the easiest way to convert an RSA public
> key from raw modulus and exponent components to proper DER encoded
> SubjectPublicKeyInfo data?
>
> Hi openssl-users mailing list.
>
> We are having some troubles converting some code from OpenSSL 1.x to
> OpenSSL 3.x APIs, to get rid of deprecation warnings, and hope
> someone may be able to give us some hints in the right direction.
>
> One thing we want to do is to convert an EC private key from raw
> format into a EVP_PKEY. Today we do as below (error checking, freeing
> and secure memory context things removed for brevity, private key is
> in "privkey" and curve in "nid"):
>
> BIGNUM *privkey_bn = BN_bin2bn(privkey, privkey_len, NULL);
> EC_KEY *eckey = EC_KEY_new_by_curve_name(nid);
> const EC_GROUP *group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);
> EC_POINT *pubkey_point = EC_POINT_new(group);
> EC_POINT_mul(group, pubkey_point, privkey_bn, NULL, NULL, NULL);
> EC_KEY_set_private_key(eckey, privkey_bn);
> EC_KEY_set_public_key(eckey, pubkey_point);
> EVP_PKEY *pkey = EVP_PKEY_new();
> EVP_PKEY_assign_EC_KEY(pkey, eckey);
>
> Basically we chained a lot of operations because we could not find
> any single function that did it for us. Some of these operations are
> now deprecated, such as the EC_KEY ones. We tried experimenting with
> the OSSL fromdata() function instead (omitted the mapping from "nid"
> to "sn" for brevity):
>
> BIGNUM *privkey_bn = BN_bin2bn(privkey, privkey_len, NULL);
> EC_GROUP *group = EC_GROUP_new_by_curve_name(nid);
> EC_POINT *pubkey_point = EC_POINT_new(group);
> EC_POINT_mul(group, pubkey_point, privkey_bn, NULL, NULL, NULL);
> unsigned char pubkey_buf[65]; // size just an example
> EC_POINT_point2oct(grp, pubkey_point, POINT_CONVERSION_UNCOMPRESSED,
> pubkey_buf, sizeof(pubkey_buf), NULL);
> OSSL_PARAM_BLD *param_bld = OSSL_PARAM_BLD_new();
> OSSL_PARAM_BLD_push_utf8_string(param_bld,
> OSSL_PKEY_PARAM_GROUP_NAME, sn, 0);
> OSSL_PARAM_BLD_push_BN(param_bld, OSSL_PKEY_PARAM_PRIV_KEY,
> privkey_bn);
> OSSL_PARAM_BLD_push_octet_string(param_bld, OSSL_PKEY_PARAM_PUB_KEY,
> pubkey_buf, sizeof(pubkey_buf));
> OSSL_PARAM *params = OSSL_PARAM_BLD_to_param(param_bld);
> EVP_PKEY_CTX *ctx = EVP_PKEY_CTX_new_from_name(NULL, "EC", NULL);
> EVP_PKEY_fromdata_init(ctx);
> EVP_PKEY *pkey = NULL;
> EVP_PKEY_fromdata(ctx, &pkey, EVP_PKEY_KEYPAIR, params);
> EVP_PKEY_CTX_free(ctx);
> ctx = EVP_PKEY_CTX_new(pkey, NULL);
> EVP_PKEY_check(ctx);
>
> Although it works, it does not feel right. We ended up chaining many
> more operations than before. Our understanding was that the new
> OpenSSL 3.x API was redesigned partially to remove low-level
> manipulations like these. We have looked though both the migration
> [...]

Basically what you have done is right. With the RSA public keys there
is not much that could be improved even on the OpenSSL side apart from
providing some wrapper functions that would do basically the same thing
internally.

The deficiency of the API that is really missing is a high level API
way to generate the public key from the private key if the public key
is missing for the EC algorithm. You did it the only way that avoids
using deprecated API calls however it should really be done inside a
provider. I've opened https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/19046
for this RFE.

--
Tomáš Mráz, OpenSSL