Need additional control over async stack allocation

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Feb 24 15:38:52 UTC 2022

I'd really appreciate review/feedback.  I know this might seem like a theoretical issue, but we're seeing real
world problems arising from how the stack memory is being allocated.

We use a custom allocator to wrap talloc.  Talloc calls the system malloc and requests an allocation of
the talloc chunk header size + the memory requested.  Talloc returns a pointer to the memory directly
after its header.

The fact we're using talloc is not the issue, but it is useful in detecting buffer overflows because on free
talloc will check the integrity of its header via a magic number.

When talloc chunks are used for stack memory by the ASYNC_* API, and are freed, talloc asserts as
the magic number in the header has been altered.

This is a strong indication of a stack overrun, likely resulting from the fact that either makecontext assumes
the memory will be page aligned (and it's not), or the stack size being allocated is simply too small.

If the current PR is not acceptable please indicate an alternative solution.  I thought it'd be easiest to have
OpenSSL punt on the problem, and leave it up to the application to allocate the stack correctly for a given
platform, but if you wanted something less open ended, some alternatives could be add a configuration option
to change the default stack size for the ASYNC_* API and allow the user to provide an aligned memory
allocation function in addition to malloc and realloc.

I also see that OpenSSL is moving towards library contexts so global allocators may no longer be
appropriate.  Let me know if that's an issue here and I'll move the code to using allocators bound to library
contexts.

-Arran