EVP_PKEY_get_int_param is not getting degree from EC key

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Tue Jan 4 17:02:08 UTC 2022

>  > In other words, the man page says it's unsigned int, but in fact it's
>  > BIGNUM? Because the pointer I gave was to "unsigned int", like in the
>  > OP's code.
>
>  The param is too big to fit into int. If you were using some
>  ridiculously small EC curve the call would succeed. The parameter types
>  != C types and the manual page does not say "unsigned int" but
>  "unsigned integer" for a reason.

Yes, that makes sense.

But, considering that the man pages describe C API, wouldn't it be nice to mention (even though it may be obvious that a number of order 2^384 might not fit into 32 or even 64 bits) that the actual type is BIGNUM?

Also, what should arguments to that C call EVP_PKEY_get_int_param() look like to succeed? Do I need to pass a pointer to BN there???