client/server communication with OpenSSL && with passwords or passphrase

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Jan 21 10:29:48 UTC 2022

Hello,

we develop a business application as client/server with TCP/IP
communication and a human readable protocol, which is encrypted by
OpenSSL. The servers are C-written on top of PostgreSQL on Linux, while
the clients are mostly Java-written and running on Win10 PCs of the
staff, talking over the network to the servers. This runs well for many
years already. The clients have no key material and "trust" the server
servers. How the keys are made is explained below in some older post
from me. The connection establishment is from the client to the server.

This only as background for the actual situation.

What we now want to have is strengthen the communication in some
directions:

1) Each client should have its own key for the OpenSSL. They must be
   built central, copied to the Win PC and installed there.

2) The usage of the key and OpenSSL communication should be protected by some
   passphrase (like for a SSH connection the usage of the private RSA
   key).

Is there some usecase example or some tutorial for this, or any other
hints?

Thanks in advance

	matthias

----- Forwarded message from Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> -----