command 'openssl ciphers -v -provider fips' shows not complain algorithms

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Jan 26 12:40:13 UTC 2022

On 26/01/2022 11:27, Jan Lana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run
>    openssl ciphers -v -provider fips | grep TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
>
> it shows this non complain cipher is available.

This looks correct behaviour to me. Your openssl.cnf file is explicitly
activating the default provider. The "-provider" option is additive.
Since your config file activates the default provider, you end up with
both the default and fips providers active.

> To add '-propquery
> fips=yes' argument does not help. IMHO it is not correct behavior.

This is a bug. Fix here:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/17595

Matt