What is 'trusted certificate'

David von Oheimb it at von-Oheimb.de
Sat Jul 16 06:45:22 UTC 2022

The below warning message looks a bit like it was produced by OpenSSL,
but pretty sure it actually comes from the freeradius server code, which
appears to use one of the OpenSSL certificate checking callback
mechanisms. So you should ask there what the exact intention for this
warning is and how to prevent it.

To me the below warnings looks strange because usually at depth 0 and 1
of a cert chain (i.e., at the positions of the end entity cert and any
subsequent intermediate cert) it is normal to have untrusted certs.
Usually only at the end of the chain you have a trusted cert that
represents the trust anchor for the chain.

Some information on the OpenSSL view on trusted/untrusted certs can be
fount
at https://beta.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man1/openssl-verification-options.html

 David