How to figure out if .P12 is RSA or ECC crypted

Beilharz, Michael MBeilharz at evident.de
Thu Jun 9 10:16:24 UTC 2022

Hi,

i retrieve .P12 certificates, they can be RSA or ECC crypted, so I offer two methods, to convert them into .PEMs.
I would like to detect, if a P12 is RSA or ECC crypted, so that I offer only one Method and the method itself decide the correct way to convert the P12.

openssl pkscs12 –info –in cert.p12

shows at a RSA crypted P12 as friendlyName valid and by using a ECC crypted P12 valid_ec

Is this the correct way to figure out the kind of how aP12 is crypted?

Thanks for any help ☺

Regards
Michael