TLS Observer with openssl

Kreissl, Jochen Jochen.Kreissl at vector.com
Mon Jun 13 13:56:58 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

currently looking into setting up a TLS Observer, which can decrypt a TLS message sequence.
Imagine a scenario where a GUI wants to inspect recorded TLS traffic, between backend and some peer (and the GUI does/should not have access to the backend context).

I have access to the Master Key (or pre-master secret), obtained for example via the set_key_log_callback.

So far so good, but I struggle to find a way to set up a SSL context from the master secret.
Is there a way to do this?

Cheers & thanks for the help
Jochen