SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_NOACK not working as expected

Tal Dery tal at awrora.io
Thu Mar 10 10:26:58 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am implementing an SSL server.

Using SSL_CTX_set_tlsext_servername_callback I'm checking the SNI.

When SNI meets my requirements (for example does not contain offensive words) I allow the handshake by returning SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_OK.

When there is an offensive word, I do not want to send Server Hello message. I try to do this by returning SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_NOACK.

For some reason, the server is still sending the message, and I wonder why?

SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_ALERT_WARNING works as expected.

I'm using OpenSSL 1.1.1f and Wireshark to verify what I say.

Thanks