SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_NOACK not working as expected

Tal Dery tal at awrora.io
Thu Mar 10 13:05:40 UTC 2022

Both solutions work, thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org>
Sent: Thursday, 10 March 2022 13:51
To: Tal Dery <tal at awrora.io>; openssl-users at openssl.org
Subject: Re: SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_NOACK not working as expected

On 10/03/2022 11:33, Tal Dery wrote:
> I am developing a MITM proxy server,
> but in the case of some SNI I am interested in transferring the ClientHello as it is to the target server and actually making a transparent proxy.
> Therefore, I cannot send ServerHello to the client.

I see. There isn't a supported way to abort the handshake without sending an alert (because in the normal course of events you're really not supposed to do that).

There *is* actually an undocumented way to achieve this - but I would consider this an accident of the implementation rather than behaviour that you can rely on. Populate the int pointed at by "al" with the value
-1 before returning SSL_TLSEXT_ERR_ALERT_FATAL. This is an internal-only value meaning "no alert".

Another way to achieve the same goal in a probably more robust way would be to use the null BIO (BIO_s_null). In the tlsext_servername callback, change the write BIO for the SSL object (SSL_set0_wbio) to the null BIO causing all subsequent writes to just "disappear".

Matt