TLS KDF and SSH KDF in openssl 1.0.2 (FIPS 140-3)

Dhananjay kumar dhanukumar1990 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 08:19:18 UTC 2022

Hi All,
We are looking to go through FIPS 140-3 certification for one of our
products which still runs on openssl 1.0.2(fips object module 2.0.16)
version due to some software dependencies.
in FIPS 140-3, we are asked to explicitly implement KATs(known answer
tests) for below algorithms since FIPS_mode_set(1) call doesn't run these
by default.

   - *Openssl FFC DH Primitive “Z” computation KAT*

   - *Openssl TLS KDF KAT*
   - *Openssl SSH KDF KAT*

We found openssl3 provides *EVP_KDF *routines to do this but we are not
able to find equivalent of that in openssl 1.0.2.
Any API pointers for SSH KDF, TLS KDF and DH Primitive Z computation in
openssl 1.0.2 will be of great help.

Thanks,
Dhananjay