Problem Compiling Fetchmail 7 with Openssl 3

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Fri May 13 14:08:51 UTC 2022

I am trying to compile fetchmail 7 (which requires Openssl 3) on my
CentOS 7 system. I installed Openssl 3 from source and it seems to be
working as expected. However, when I try to compile fetchmail 7 it fails
with these errors:

undefined reference to `OpenSSL_version'
undefined reference to `OpenSSL_version_num'
undefined reference to `OPENSSL_sk_num'
undefined reference to `OPENSSL_sk_value'
undefined reference to `OPENSSL_sk_free'
undefined reference to `TLS_client_method'
undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_set_options'

It is my guess that I am missing Openssl 3 headers but I am unable to
find them if that is the case. Can someone help me figure this out? TIA.