how to programmatically specify the path of fipsmodule.cnf and load it in application without using openssl.cnf in OpenSSL 3.0

Zhongyan Wang zwang2 at rocketsoftware.com
Mon Nov 28 06:31:04 UTC 2022

Hi team,
Do you know how to programmatically specify the path of fipsmodule.cnf and load it in application without using openssl.cnf in OpenSSL 3.0?
Historically, my product uses customized OpenSSL and doesn't have an openssl.cnf.
I need to use FIPS module, and I try to load it, it fails until I specify the fipsmodule.cnf path in openssl.cnf. openssl.cnf is generated when make install, and fipsmodule.cnf is generated by openssl fipsinstall command.

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.