porting openssl to vxWorks

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Oct 7 11:48:25 UTC 2022

VxWorks is an "unadopted" platform. This means there is some claimed
support for it but there is no named maintainer for it and it is not
regularly tested. It may or may not work.

See our platform policy here:

https://www.openssl.org/policies/platformpolicy.html

On that page we can see the following VxWorks platforms listed:

vxworks-ppc60x		vxworks		ppc32
vxworks-ppcgen		vxworks		ppc32
vxworks-ppc405		vxworks		ppc32 405
vxworks-ppc750		vxworks		ppc32 750
vxworks-ppc860		vxworks		ppc32 860
vxworks-simlinux		vxworks		x86?
vxworks-mips		vxworks		mips32 o32

In principle the build procedure should be more-or-less the same
procedure as for most platforms as described in the INSTALL.md:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/INSTALL.md

I don't see any support for system guessing for VxWorks in our Configure
script so you will probably have to explicitly specify the target
platform when calling Configure, e.g.

$ perl Configure <target platform>

Where <target platform> is one of the platform names I listed above.

I don't have any access to (and have never used) VxWorks, so I have no
clue as to whether this actually works.

Matt