Session ID is coming as NULL in openSSL 3.0.2 and TLS 1.2 version

Sethuraman Venugopal Sethuraman.Venugopal at genesys.com
Fri Sep 2 07:23:41 UTC 2022

Dear All,

In our project below are the openssl and TLS version we are consuming it

OpenSSL Version : OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022 (Library: OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022)
TLS Version : 1.2
Message Digest : SHA256

The SSL session is getting created successfully, but the session ID is coming as NULL, due to which the handshake is failing between the client and server.

memcpy (&m_ServerChallenge[0],
SSL_SESSION_get_id(SSL_get0_session((SSL *) m_pSsl), nullptr),
CHALLENGE_LENGTH);

The above is the code snippet used to get the SSL session ID and copy it onto a Challenge variable - Since the Session ID is coming as NULL the Challenge value is coming as "0"

Below are the values logged for your reference.

01:21:14.369[1e64][Warning] SslNonCertificateConnectTransport             : The pSsl Value is                                                                                                                                           : [03B3A808]
01:21:14.369[1e64][Warning] SslNonCertificateConnectTransport             : The SSL Session value SSL_get0_session((SSL *) m_pSsl)                                                            : [03B47B48]
01:21:14.369[1e64][Warning] SslNonCertificateConnectTransport           : The Session ID is SSL_SESSION_get_id(SSL_get0_session((SSL *) m_pSsl), nullptr)               : []

Please suggest me a solution for this issue.

Kindlly let me know in case of any further inputs required.

Regards,
Sethu V