Can OpenSSL 3.1.0 be compiled without atomic.h ?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Apr 1 01:24:50 UTC 2023

On 3/30/23 18:48, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 05:50:50PM -0400, Dennis Clarke via openssl-users wrote:
>
>> This is exactly the sort of thing this email list for ordinary users
>> was intended for. Custom designed for this sort of off the wall crazy
>> question.  A github bug report would be a vulgar display of stupid.
>
> Your question is a bit surprising, because those enterprising enough to
> operate what is now exotic hardware, are usually the sort of users who
> answer rather than ask this sort of question...

That is true and perhaps I was just lazy.  HOWEVER this does present a
fine demonstration of just how valuable this email list is to ordinary
users. Almost anything can happen and reasonable questions, even from
the exotic world of hardware no one else has ( or remembers! ) may arrive.

> That said, the header in question occurs in exactly one place in
> OpenSSL:

Sadly, yes, I did the grand "find . -type f | xargs grep foo" right
*after* sending this email.

Yikes.

Tazer me gently.

>      crypto/threads_pthread.c-#if defined(__sun)
>      crypto/threads_pthread.c:# include <atomic.h>
.
.
.
>      crypto/threads_pthread.c-#endif

> To be used on some unspecified "__sun" systems with some unspecified
> toolchain.  You'll discover what's missing without it by removing the
> include, and seeing what breaks, and then fix that, or perhaps switching
> toolchain versions to one that provides that header.
>
> Another thing to do could be to move the include below (inside):
>
>      #if defined(OPENSSL_THREADS) && !defined(CRYPTO_TDEBUG) && !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_WINDOWS)
>
> and Configure "no-threads", assuming you don't have to have threads.

It may take a week to compile but I shall report back that OpenSSL 3.1.0
can be built and tested on a toaster. Also a thirty year old Sun 32-bit
SparcStation 20. Which actually is a nice foot warmer also.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC