[External] : Re: FIPS compliance in OpenSSL v3.0

Thomas Dwyer III thomas.dwyer at oracle.com
Wed Feb 8 23:46:53 UTC 2023

These instructions appear to suggest there are no CVEs within version
3.0.0 of the FIPS provider itself but I'm having a hard time evaluating
this. Taking CVE-2022-0778 as an example and looking at the commit
history, I see that this particular CVE was fixed in a466912611aa which
modified a single file: crypto/bn/bn_sqrt.c. This filename appears in
providers/fips.module.sources. Does that mean this particular CVE does
in fact impact version 3.0.0 of the FIPS provider or do I misunderstand
what the FIPS provider actually contains?

Thanks,
Tom.III