Using RAND_status()

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Feb 16 15:33:07 UTC 2023

Jayme Mikko Ancla wrote in
 <CAC6VOjkMpACXqeKnD1yMO1rAtfiMk=iLj+aRoUsNyq8dTXRR1Q at mail.gmail.com>:
 |On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 3:46 AM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> \
 |wrote:
 |> Has this changed again?  I am now forced to set
 |>
 |>   (void)RAND_DRBG_set_reseed_defaults(0, 0, 0, 0); /* (does not fail \
 |>   here)
 |> */

 |Are there some pointers we have to initialize or functions to call before
 |calling RAND_status()?

 |I also checked about *RAND_DRBG_set_reseed_defaults *but it seems already
 |removed from 3.0.0.

Oh!!  I did not know this!!  It was
7d615e2178fbffa53f05a67f68e5741374340308, ("rand_drbg: remove
RAND_DRBG.", 2020-07-22).  I have such a preprocessor mess around
that, rand_file, reseed stuff, conf stuff, 3+ and pre 3.  I have

  #if mx_HAVE_XTLS >= 0x10100
     OPENSSL_init_ssl(OPENSSL_INIT_LOAD_SSL_STRINGS |
        OPENSSL_INIT_LOAD_CRYPTO_STRINGS
  # ifdef mx_HAVE_TLS_ALL_ALGORITHMS
           | OPENSSL_INIT_ADD_ALL_CIPHERS | OPENSSL_INIT_ADD_ALL_DIGESTS
  # endif
        , NULL);
  #else
     SSL_load_error_strings();
     SSL_library_init();
     a_xtls_load_algos();
  #endif
     a_xtls_state |= a_XTLS_S_INIT;

Then, as you seem you use 3+ (and reseed stuff went for you), you
should be able to go from my (provider-less) point of view.

--steffen