Need Help on OpenSSl 3.0.x and FIPS enablement

Prasad, PCRaghavendra Pcraghavendra.Prasad at dell.com
Tue Feb 28 17:52:02 UTC 2023

Hi Team,

Our team has started migrating from OpenSSL 1.0.2 to OpenSSL 3.0.x version.
We are doing POC for the same on windows and Linux.

We have a tight schedule to finish the migration by April 1st week as we need to fix one critical BD issue and support TLS 1.3 feature as well.

The team and I are going through multiple docs of OpenSSL 3.x and trying to figure out how to configure fips once we build the OpenSSL.

Few things:

  *   In openssl 3.0.x Fips module is installed/integrated by default (enable-fips) during the build step
  *   Fipsmodule.cnf is present in the default location (c:\usr\local\ssl\)
  *   After reading multiple ways on how to enable fips, one way is the config way where we need to change few params in openssl.cnf
  *   By changing that and we did the test using openssl.exe ( sha1 passed and md5 failed) all good
  *   Now the challenge is we need to set the fips enablement programmatically which we were going through multiple docs (openssl and some forums)
  *   Till now we used OpenSSL 1.0.2 where the fipsmodule is embedded in libcrypto and we need to set it at the beginning of the application (fips_mode_set()) and everything else is taken care by default.
  *   Now with OpenSSL 3.0.x how to set that fips mode for the entire application is not very clear
  *   Very where they are talking about the config files, our application is a standalone application that bundles all the required libs(crypto/SSL) and runs on its own, it will not refer to any system config/lib files
  *   So our doubt is if we build on the application on build machine containing OpenSSL 3.0.x and create an artifact. We need to run on different machines.
  *   In OpenSSL 3.0.x is there any hard dependency on the .cnf files should we carry them in our artifact and if so should we install them in the default path like ( C:\usr or /us/local) which we were not doing till now?

Any input on this will be really helpful

Thanks,
Raghavendra

Internal Use - Confidential