X509V3_EXT_nconf_int:error in extension:crypto/x509/v3_conf.c:48:section=req_ext, name=extendedKeyUsage, value=

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 5 16:34:29 UTC 2023

On 7/5/23 12:15, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 11:51:42AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I have:
>>
>> [ req_ext ]
>> basicConstraints = $ENV::basicConstraints
>> keyUsage = $ENV::certkeyusage
>> extendedKeyUsage = $ENV::certextkeyusage
>> subjectAltName = $ENV::subjectAltName
>>
>> And sometimes I want these variables to be empty.  That is not to be
>> included in the csr.
>>
>> I thought that I had this working, but guess not.
>>
>> How can I have is so that some csr are created with all of these and
>> others only some?
> Use separate config files.  I always construct config files "on the fly":
>
>      $ openssl ... -config <(
>          cat common-bits.cnf
>          printf " ... custom bits %s ... \n" "$arg1" ...
>          printf " ... more custom bits %s ... \n" "$arg1" ...
>          )

Uh, yeah.  I was trying to keep this simple and more usable and
understandable.

I looked at the -regexts option to have various such, but that,
according to the docs, is only available with the -x509 option that you
don't use for making a csr.

Maybe use -extensions?  and load all the req_ext in specific extensions
rather than default to req section?

> And don't use the "$ENV" feature.  For advanced examples of that
> pattern see:

And what is wrong/bad with $ENV?  Without it I would need a separate
config file for pretty much all of the openssl commands I am using. I
was pointed to it some years back.

But thanks for these examples.