[Openssl 1.1.1n] application core dump while calling sk_X509_pop_free(s->verified_chain, X509_free);

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Fri Mar 3 05:49:26 UTC 2023

On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 02:21:43AM +0000, Ma Zhenhua wrote:

> My application core dumps twice in the same procedure while pop and
> free s->verified_chain. I don't find possible cause until now. Any
> constructive advice is highly appreciated.

You've corrupted the heap prior to that call, or, ignoring the
documentation, or previously freed the verified chain, which is owned by
SSL handle, and must not be freed by the application.

See SSL_get0_verified_chain(3).  OpenSSL's handling of this object is
correct.  You'll have to figure out where you went wrong.

--
    Viktor.