OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

David von Oheimb it at von-Oheimb.de
Fri Mar 17 13:10:01 UTC 2023

I support keeping the mailing list because many people love this style
for good reasons,
such as a more complete overview, simple and more reliable long-term
archiving,
simple offline reading and editing, and more technical and social
independence.

I appreciate also the pros of the online discussion mode because it is
more interactive
(one can for instance place +1 etc. reactions on posts and fix older
texts in situ).
There is also more flexibility/convenience to selectively follow certain
threads or persons
with adjustable notifications by email etc.

I suggest, as far as possible, better combining the advantages of the
two approaches.

For instance, besides the usual GitHub "issues" and "pull requests"
sections,
have separate "questions" and "announcements" sections for more user-
oriented exchange
(if not directly supported by GitHub, may resort to using suitable
tags).
Automatically feed the posts done there into the mailing list,
and maybe also the other way round.

 David