Optimizations for Apple Silicon?

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Mon Mar 20 14:27:31 UTC 2023

Naïve questions, driven my current use of Apple Silicon (includes AES, SHA1, SHA2, SHA3 extended instructions):

  1.  Does the current stable OpenSSL-3.1.0 include (assembly?) code to take advantage, aka – utilize, these CPU instructions?
  2.  How can I check whether openssl installation (binary and libraries) are compiled with Silicon optimizations (if I did not compile from source myself)?
  3.  What’s the current analog of rdrand engine? I.e., does OpenSSL take input from RDRAND and its analog on AARCH64, and how can I check that it does?

Thanks!