Making providers that expose new algorithms

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu May 11 09:00:02 UTC 2023

On 11/05/2023 00:03, Ladd, Watson via openssl-users wrote:
> Dear fellow OpenSSL users,
>
> I have been writing a provider that exposes a kem algorithm and associated keymgmt. This algorithm is unknown to OpenSSL> However it appears that while the provider is loaded the algorithm cannot be used, and this is due to a failure to find the name in inner_evp_generic_fetch

Have you confirmed that the provider is definitely available via
`OSSL_PROVIDER_available()`?

> Do I need to do something to create the name of the algorithm first? The docs are not clear and it's quite odd given the algorithm had the algorithm name associated with the OSSL_dispatch that this would be needed.

No. It should be sufficient just to have the name in the dispatch table
and then it should be found. Is your provider query function being
called with the KEM operation ID (OSSL_OP_KEM)? And is it returning the
correct dispatch table?