Maximum encryption key length supported by AES-128 CBC

Vishal Kevat vishal.kevat at se.com
Thu Jul 4 18:20:25 UTC 2024

Hi OpenSLL users,

I want to know what length of encryption key does AES-128 CBC supports?

I believe that it supports key length max upto 128 bits that is 16 bytes.

What happens if I give the input key of more than 16 bytes? Will the AES-128 drop the remaining bytes and consider only first 16 bytes?
This question I am asking because, when I give the key more than 16 bytes to AES 128 CBC, it still works without throwing any error.

Similarly, what is the max key length for AES-256 CBC?

Regards,
Vishal Kevat

General