New GitHub label for release blockers

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Sun Sep 13 14:56:05 UTC 2020

On 13/09/2020 15:16, Nicola Tuveri wrote:
> ... I still have very confused ideas regarding the "best" conventional
> usage of github features like labels, milestones and projects: I read
> the official documentation about them and I grasp the general ideas
> behind them, but too often the boundaries are too foggy for me to
> navigate and pick the right tool for the job in a consistent and organic
> manner.

In my head I think of them like this:

- A label: describes a characteristic of a PR/issue
- A milestone: a time based goal (such as a specific release)
- A project: A collection of PRs/issues related by some common long term
objective

There is some confusion between labels and milestones, because you could
think of "a time based goal" set for a pr/issue as a characteristic of
it. So you could use either for the purpose. However since github has
both, it seems more appropriate to use a milestone when talking about a
time based goal since it is the more specific concept.

Matt