[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 1 published

Zoltan Arpadffy zoli at polarhome.com
Tue Dec 22 11:23:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

> zoli> I am aware that having perl installed on a modern operating system is
> zoli> not a very tough requirement - but experience shows that external
> zoli> dependencies often cause problems on OpenVMS.
>
> For perl, it's not that hard:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsperlkit/files/

> (unfortunately, "cpan install Text::Template" doesn't work because
> there's a lack of action lines in the test: target it its Makefile,
> and mms isn't too happy about that...)

> So, uhmm, nah.  Frankly, it's time (it's been time for long) for the
> OpenVMS community to catch up with the rest of the world re open
> source building...

Please, do not misunderstand me - I am on your side and I would be the
most happy if that would work.

But there is a problem:
The files currently featured are kits for installing
Perl 5.22.1 on OpenVMS Alpha or Itanium v8.3 and later. (from the home
page)... but many OpenVMS systems are not on v8.3 yet.

Here is an unofficial usage statistics for OpenSSL and Vim users

VAX - 7.1 or older		29.82 % (167)
VAX - 7.2 or newer		6.96 % (39)
Alpha - 7.2 or older		5.54 % (31)
Alpha - 7.3 or newer		29.64 % (166)
Itanium - 8.0 or newer		23.39 % (131)
I do not use OpenVMS		3.57 % (20)
I do not know		        1.07 % (6)
Total votes: 560

The most probable reason for keeping OpenVMS systems not updated is
the HP's ECO packages availability as well the OpenVMS excellent
backwards compatibility that allows old builds to run in new systems.

This is not good - I know. But this is a fact we need to face when we
develop for this system.

> Considering there's Alpha, IA64 and VSI is building VMS for x86_64,
> and let's not forget pointer size options, the different possible
> configurations is already not a small number, and will only increase.
> How many variants of descrip.mms did you want?

One descript.mms file would be enough. Thank you for asking :)
MMS/MMK accepts parameters that could be used within the descript file
making possible the different choices - if it is written on that way,
especially that architecture and some other parameters can be
successfully guessed within the MMS file.

> zoli> > zoli> Do you need some help with coding, testing?
>
> I'll have a branch in git at github.com:levitte/openssl.git
> I'll get back when it starts going live.

Thank you, Richard.
I am looking forward to help you.

Regards,

---