[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 1 published

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Dec 22 11:50:06 UTC 2015

In message <20151222122349.916552ojkzhe5sqt at www.polarhome.com> on Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:23:49 +0100, Zoltan Arpadffy <zoli at polarhome.com> said:

zoli> Hi,
zoli>
zoli> > zoli> I am aware that having perl installed on a modern operating
zoli> > system is
zoli> > zoli> not a very tough requirement - but experience shows that
zoli> > external
zoli> > zoli> dependencies often cause problems on OpenVMS.
zoli> >
zoli> > For perl, it's not that hard:
zoli> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsperlkit/files/
zoli>
zoli> > (unfortunately, "cpan install Text::Template" doesn't work because
zoli> > there's a lack of action lines in the test: target it its Makefile,
zoli> > and mms isn't too happy about that...)
zoli>
zoli> > So, uhmm, nah.  Frankly, it's time (it's been time for long) for the
zoli> > OpenVMS community to catch up with the rest of the world re open
zoli> > source building...
zoli>
zoli> Please, do not misunderstand me - I am on your side and I would be the
zoli> most happy if that would work.
zoli>
zoli> But there is a problem:
zoli> The files currently featured are kits for installing
zoli> Perl 5.22.1 on OpenVMS Alpha or Itanium v8.3 and later. (from the home
zoli> page)... but many OpenVMS systems are not on v8.3 yet.

There are older kits in the Archive folder.  I don't know for the
moment what VMS version they're built for.

zoli> This is not good - I know. But this is a fact we need to face when we
zoli> develop for this system.

That's tough, unfortunately...  I've only access to a V8.4 cluster
(Alpha and IA64), so I don't know how to help you further.  Of course,
there's the option to build perl from source, which isn't very hard at
all (I've done so a few times).

zoli> One descript.mms file would be enough. Thank you for asking :)
zoli> MMS/MMK accepts parameters that could be used within the descript file
zoli> making possible the different choices - if it is written on that way,
zoli> especially that architecture and some other parameters can be
zoli> successfully guessed within the MMS file.

Well, the aim is to have a common structure to build from on all
architectures we claim to support.  You've seen for yourself how the
scripts for VMS builds were lagging behind, and quite frankly, it's
hellish to keep them up to date (I've completely dropped the ball for
1.1).  That's not something I'm willing to have us do all over again.

zoli> > zoli> > zoli> Do you need some help with coding, testing?
zoli> >
zoli> > I'll have a branch in git at github.com:levitte/openssl.git
zoli> > I'll get back when it starts going live.
zoli>
zoli> Thank you, Richard.
zoli> I am looking forward to help you.

Thanks :-)