[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 1 published

Zoltan Arpadffy zoli at polarhome.com
Tue Dec 22 12:47:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

> zoli> > (unfortunately, "cpan install Text::Template" doesn't work because
> zoli> > there's a lack of action lines in the test: target it its Makefile,
> zoli> > and mms isn't too happy about that...)

> That's tough, unfortunately...  I've only access to a V8.4 cluster
> (Alpha and IA64), so I don't know how to help you further.  Of course,
> there's the option to build perl from source, which isn't very hard at
> all (I've done so a few times).

I do have access to VAX, Alpha and IA64 architectures... on range of
7.3 to 8.3 OpenVMS versions.
Also I do have functional perl installed on them.
I am not the problem here, but ordinary developers that work on an old
system developing for a legacy program and do not have SYSTEM rights -
what is the common case.
The build solution should be designed to be usable by those developers too.

> Well, the aim is to have a common structure to build from on all
> architectures we claim to support.  You've seen for yourself how the
> scripts for VMS builds were lagging behind, and quite frankly, it's
> hellish to keep them up to date (I've completely dropped the ball for
> 1.1).  That's not something I'm willing to have us do all over again.

Absolutely agree with you. This is the way forward.

May I ask you, if the new build will cover the long names issue (
symhacks.h ) too?

Thanks,

---
WebMail, polarhome.com