[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 1 published

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Dec 22 13:52:43 UTC 2015

In message <20151222134741.72034a0b79m0zmul at www.polarhome.com> on Tue, 22 Dec 2015 13:47:41 +0100, Zoltan Arpadffy <zoli at polarhome.com> said:

zoli> Hi,
zoli>
zoli> > zoli> > (unfortunately, "cpan install Text::Template" doesn't work
zoli> > because
zoli> > zoli> > there's a lack of action lines in the test: target it its
zoli> > Makefile,
zoli> > zoli> > and mms isn't too happy about that...)
zoli>
zoli> > That's tough, unfortunately...  I've only access to a V8.4 cluster
zoli> > (Alpha and IA64), so I don't know how to help you further.  Of course,
zoli> > there's the option to build perl from source, which isn't very hard at
zoli> > all (I've done so a few times).
zoli>
zoli> I do have access to VAX, Alpha and IA64 architectures... on range of
zoli> 7.3 to 8.3 OpenVMS versions.
zoli> Also I do have functional perl installed on them.
zoli> I am not the problem here, but ordinary developers that work on an old
zoli> system developing for a legacy program and do not have SYSTEM rights -
zoli> what is the common case.
zoli> The build solution should be designed to be usable by those developers
zoli> too.

Is perl still that uncommon on VMS?  I'm sorry to say that's gonna be
tough, then.  Just as an example, the old test scripts are gone, and
have been replaced with Test::More / Test::Harness recipes, and I'm
pretty sure VMS devs who're building OpenSSL are just as eager to run
the test scripts as anyone.

I could argue that for a developer to work, he/she needs a functional
development environment.  In this day and age, that should include
perl.  Pressure on the sysadmin!  (having been a VMS sysadmin, I'm
saying that very much toungue in cheak ;-))

zoli> > Well, the aim is to have a common structure to build from on all
zoli> > architectures we claim to support.  You've seen for yourself how the
zoli> > scripts for VMS builds were lagging behind, and quite frankly, it's
zoli> > hellish to keep them up to date (I've completely dropped the ball for
zoli> > 1.1).  That's not something I'm willing to have us do all over again.
zoli>
zoli> Absolutely agree with you. This is the way forward.

Good :-)

zoli> May I ask you, if the new build will cover the long names issue (
zoli> symhacks.h ) too?

It's been pointed out to me by the vms-ports folks that it should be
possible to solve using the compiler's "#pragma names shortened"
rather than maintaining symhacks...  Then, it's just a matter of doing
the same thing manually when producing the SYMBOL_VECTOR for a
shareable image.  I'm also thinking that "#pragma names as_is" should
be norm and that we could produce upper case aliases in SYMBOL_VECTOR
(you know how that's done, right?).  Does that sound like a way
forward to you?

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org