[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 1 published

Zoltan Arpadffy zoli at polarhome.com
Tue Dec 22 14:34:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

> zoli> May I ask you, if the new build will cover the long names issue (
> zoli> symhacks.h ) too?
>
> It's been pointed out to me by the vms-ports folks that it should be
> possible to solve using the compiler's "#pragma names shortened"
> rather than maintaining symhacks...  Then, it's just a matter of doing
> the same thing manually when producing the SYMBOL_VECTOR for a
> shareable image.  I'm also thinking that "#pragma names as_is" should
> be norm and that we could produce upper case aliases in SYMBOL_VECTOR
> (you know how that's done, right?).  Does that sound like a way
> forward to you?

It is not my decision, but I don't like either of these approaches.

The code itself needs to be written that it is as much as possible portable.

It is not impossible to maintain a code base that uses up to 32 char
long function names - without losing the readability of the code.
I agree that it requires some extra focus from the developers side -
but coding a security software needs that (and even more) focus anyway.

Thanks,

---
WebMail, polarhome.com