[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3897] request: add BLAKE2 hash function (let's kill md5sum!)

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Tue Jun 9 16:56:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 04:39:36PM +0000, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn via RT wrote:
> We, the BLAKE2 maintainers, offer both reference C code and optimized
> implementations: https://blake2.net/#dl . There are also other
> implementations with various virtues available: https://blake2.net/#sw

So it's my understanding that you would like to see atleast the sp
version, and would of course like to see this used with threads.
We currently do not make use of threads in OpenSSL, as in we do not
create them, but it should be multithread safe if you set up
locking.

Your implementation seems to be making use of OpenMP, and it seems
it can be used both with and without OpenMP support and I
understand that it should just work on older compilers that don't
support it.  There seem to be various compilers that support it
including gcc and Microsoft Visual C++.

I'm wondering if we should also use OpenMP.  It clearly looks very
useful.

Kurt