[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3897] request: add BLAKE2 hash function (let's kill md5sum!)

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Tue Jun 9 17:35:47 UTC 2015

Dear Kurt:

Another option is to include BLAKE2sp but use the single-threaded
reference implementation of BLAKE2sp. (Thanks to Samuel Neves for
reminding me about this.)

That way the hash values produced would be compatible with other
people's implementations, or possible future implementations, that
used multithreading, or used some fancy SIMD to compute the parallel
hashes in a single CPU core.

All of these are good options in my opinion:

BLAKE2b — widely used, very efficient on modern 64-bit Intel CPUs and
on ARM chips with NEON, simpler than the "p" versions

BLAKE2s — more efficient on 32-bit chips (e.g. ARMs) which do *not* have NEON

BLAKE2sp, multithreaded — fastest option on my laptop today

BLAKE2sp, singlethreaded — simpler than multithreading and compatible
with faster implementations

Regards,

Zooko