[openssl-dev] A new openssl engine

Dmitry Belyavsky beldmit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 21:08:04 UTC 2015

Hello Viktor,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <
openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:48:08PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:36:58PM +0300, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW, what does the OpenSSL  Team plan regarding the GOST engine?
> >
> > I think some of us want to get rid of it, because it's rather
> > crappy code.
>
> I think that if GOST is really going to be a supported set of
> algorithms, then it should not be an engine, and should be integrated
> properly, with robust well written and carefully reviewed code.

Well, if GOST algorithms become 1st-class citizens, it can solve some
problems. I think it is possible to find some programmers (including me)
who are ready to participate in this work.

> The current engine is IMHO not a good long-term vehicle for providing
> GOST support to OpenSSL users.

Sure. For example, GOST94 signature algorithm is deprecated.
But the current engine can be used to demonstrate the proper way to provide
new algorithms through engine.

Thank you!

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky