[openssl-dev] We're working on license changes

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Sat Nov 21 11:50:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 01:01:37PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Friday, November 20, 2015 9:47 PM +0100 Richard Levitte
> <levitte at openssl.org> wrote:
>
> >I would like to point out that the GNU project talks about the Apache
> >v2 license in positive terms:
> >
> >http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
>
> When dealing with the GPLv3, yes.  However, it clearly notes the
> incompatibility with the GPLv2.  Moving to a license that does not resolve
> the GPLv2 compatibility problem really doesn't help.  I guess the
> overwhelming feedback from the community that the new license really needs
> to be GPLv2 compatible just went in one eye and out the other, so to speak.

I would like to point out that GPLv2 also isn't compatible with
GPLv3, and that that is causing just as much problems as the
current OpenSSL license.

Both the GPLv3 and Apache 2.0 have protection for patents, which is
why it's not compatible with the GPLv2.  If you look at the above
page, they recommand the Apache 2.0 license instead of the MIT
license just because of that.

We are in a field were people do claim patents.  So the question
is if this patent protection is important for us or not.

Kurt