[openssl-dev] We're working on license changes

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at zimbra.com
Fri Nov 20 21:01:37 UTC 2015

--On Friday, November 20, 2015 9:47 PM +0100 Richard Levitte
<levitte at openssl.org> wrote:

> I would like to point out that the GNU project talks about the Apache
> v2 license in positive terms:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

When dealing with the GPLv3, yes.  However, it clearly notes the
incompatibility with the GPLv2.  Moving to a license that does not resolve
the GPLv2 compatibility problem really doesn't help.  I guess the
overwhelming feedback from the community that the new license really needs
to be GPLv2 compatible just went in one eye and out the other, so to speak.

Re: Rich, yes removing the advertising clause is helpful, etc.  Just move
to plain BSD/MIT license then, and resolve all the issues.

Or, does the community input that was received, that was consistently
pointing out that a non-GPLv2 compatible license does not solve the
fundamental problems with the current license going to continue to be
blatantly ignored?

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount