[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4647] bug report: OpenSSL 1.0.2h: Segment fault on AIX Power8 using optimization code

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Sun Aug 21 21:06:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

> We are using libcurl for REST programming, which internally uses openssl
> and libcrypto.
> curl suggested to implement few callbacks related to locking, which would
> be needed for openssl below 1.1 version(which is still in beta).
>
> The following callbacks were implemented:
>
> https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/threaded-ssl.html
>
> lock_callback, thread_id, init_locks, kill_locks
>
> With these modifications we are facing a crash in openssl library when used
> on a Power8 Hardware (with optimizations).

The fact that it's affected by optimizations is likely to be
circumstantial. I'm not convinced that it's not MT problem with your
application, and whether or not crash is triggered is question of
delicate yet unfortunate timing. And that's what is affected by
optimizations, timing. Questions are. You say you implement the
callbacks, but are they actually engaged? Is your openssl actually
compiled with threads support? Which configuration target/config line
was used to compile it?

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4647