[openssl-dev] Add a new algorithm in "crypto" dir, how to add the source code into the build system

Joey Yandle xoloki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:33:16 UTC 2016

> May I suggest you have a look at the GOST engine?  It does implement
> the algorithm entirely in the engine.  The only things added in the
> OpenSSL code are the OIDs (not strictly necessary) and the TLS
> ciphersuites (I don't think that can be done dynamically at all, at
> least yet).

How are the OIDs not necessary?  What about the NIDs?

I've been working on an engine to add support for SIDH, using GOST as a
template:

   https://github.com/xoloki/openssl-sidh/

GOST already had NID support in the base openssl.  I had to add at least
one line to crypto/objects/objects.txt to get my NID:

+# NIDs for SIDH
+1 3 102 100                 : SIDH         : Supersingular isogeny
Diffie–Hellman

Is there some way to add the NID dynamically?  If not, how can an
algorithm be added?  The build system in 1.1.0 at least makes this
relatively simple.  In 1.0.x it is far more difficult.

cheers,

Joey