[openssl-dev] Add a new algorithm in "crypto" dir, how to add the source code into the build system

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Dec 22 21:59:50 UTC 2016

In message <20161222.225335.92995302056231655.levitte at openssl.org> on Thu, 22 Dec 2016 22:53:35 +0100 (CET), Richard Levitte <levitte at openssl.org> said:

levitte> In message <e6400041-6133-8b74-2ff9-043ec6dcbfab at gmail.com> on Thu, 22 Dec 2016 13:33:16 -0800, Joey Yandle <xoloki at gmail.com> said:
levitte>
levitte> xoloki> > May I suggest you have a look at the GOST engine?  It does implement
levitte> xoloki> > the algorithm entirely in the engine.  The only things added in the
levitte> xoloki> > OpenSSL code are the OIDs (not strictly necessary) and the TLS
levitte> xoloki> > ciphersuites (I don't think that can be done dynamically at all, at
levitte> xoloki> > least yet).
levitte> xoloki>
levitte> xoloki> How are the OIDs not necessary?  What about the NIDs?
levitte>
levitte> It's not stricly necessary to add them statically in the libcrypto
levitte> code.  They can be added dynamically by the engine by calling
levitte> OBJ_create() with the correct arguments.

Applications will then have to find out the nid by calling
OBJ_txt2nid, OBJ_sn2nid or OBJ_ln2nid, depending on the data they
have.  Note: this can already be done for the built in OIDs.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org